You are missing our excellent site navigation system. Register here for free and get full operational site navigation system. Benefits of full navigation system: Additional items in "home" menu for registered users, shortcuts to your account managements, quick-shortcut links to download and forum sections, show staffs and members online, notify you for new private messages and shortcut to individual messages grouped by senders, tracking latest forum posts since your last visits and reads, and much more.  
 User:  Pwd:  Code: Security Code

Free-Islam.com Free-Islam.com
::  Home  ::  Access Quran Project  ::  Free Islam Quran Translation  ::  Account  ::  Inbox  ::  Forums  ::  Downloads  ::  MP3 Player  ::  Video  ::  Arcade  ::  Chess  ::  Guest Book  ::
www.free-islam.com :: View topic - Hajj in the Bible.
www.free-islam.com Forum Index Search Forum FAQ Memberlist Ranks Statistics Usergroups
View Favorites Sudoku Coloku Lexoku Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Information Hajj in the Bible.

www.free-islam.com Forum Index » Bring it on  Goto page Previous  1, 2 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Faith: Islam
Zodiac: Leo

australia.gif

Post subject: Reply with quote  

See this:

Wensinck identifies Mecca with a place called Macoraba mentioned by Ptolemy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaaba

However, I thought that this guy Wensinck is a Muslim or something, so I googled him and he turned to be a clear enemy of Islam:

Among others, Ginzberg,[1] FriedlÃ???????Ã??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¤nder[2] and Obermann[3] claimed that the source of Qur'an 18:65-82 was the "Jewish legend" of Rabbi Joshua ben Levi and Elijah as mentioned in Hibbūr Yāfeh me-ha-Yeshū`a. The Jewish legend tells how Rabbi Levi goes on a journey with Elijah. Like al-Khidr, Elijah lays down a number of conditions. Elijah did a number of outrageous things that affected the Rabbi in the same way that Moses was affected.

The most influential explanation of the source of this story is found in the Encyclopaedia Of Islam under "al-Khadir" written by Arent Jan Wensinck. Wensinck argues that Qur'an 18:65-82 is taken from the "Jewish legend" of Rabbi Joshua ben Levi and Elijah. He writes:

The Jewish legend (printed in Jellinek, Bet ha-Midrasch, V, 133-5) tells how Rabbi Joshua ben Levi goes on a journey with Elijah under conditions laid down by Elijah, like those above of the servant of God in the Kur'an. Like the latter, Elijah does a number of outrageous things, which affects Joshua as it did Mūsā. Zunz, Gesammelte VortrÃ???????Ã??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¤ge, X, 130, first pointed out the similarity of this story to the Kur'anic legend.[4]

Wensinck's claim of borrowing is partly based on the assumption that Muhammad(P) imperfectly borrowed this story while at the same time confusing the names of the characters. A similar endorsement has been made by Arthur Jeffery who says:

Wensinck has pointed out that here in this Sura the Jewish legends of Elijah and Rabbi Joshua ben Levi have become mixed up with the al-Khidr and Alexander story.[5]

Ibn Warraq endorses Wensinck's claim without criticism.[6] However, none of these scholars has proved this thesis, since seemingly none of them has thoroughly examined the component parts and particular elements of the two stories.

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Sources/BBarent.html

This means for me that he cannot be lying when he indentified the city of Macoraba mentioned in Ptolemy's writings to be Mecca, i.e. Mecca existed at least 400 years before Islam which should destroy the allegation that Mecca was never found in old writings before Islam

Salam

Fri 19 Feb, 2010 4:55 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
The
Rook
Rook

Zodiac: Taurus

blank.gif

I think there's mistake in that article, brother, and they got the wrong word. In the Pslams (84; 6), the word preceding baka is the word for valley (emeq). The Hebraic 'baka' comes from a root which means 'wailing' or 'bemoaning'.

Now this would fit in with the idea of the general sorrow that might have prevailed when Abraham departed from the place, but it doesn't tally with the Arabic 'bakka' which I have read to have a different connotation.
Post Posted:
Fri 19 Feb, 2010 6:53 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

The wrote:
I think there's mistake in that article, brother, and they got the wrong word. In the Pslams (84; 6), the word preceding baka is the word for valley (emeq). The Hebraic 'baka' comes from a root which means 'wailing' or 'bemoaning'.

Now this would fit in with the idea of the general sorrow that might have prevailed when Abraham departed from the place, but it doesn't tally with the Arabic 'bakka' which I have read to have a different connotation.

Thanks mate

Do you know the sematic word for Valley?

Cheers

Sat 20 Feb, 2010 6:50 am
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

In the Biblical verse referenced (Psalm, 84:6), the word for valley is emeq.

And the phrase is translated in many bibles to the effect of 'valley of weeping' rather than simply 'valley of Becca'.
Post Posted:
Sat 20 Feb, 2010 2:25 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

The wrote:
In the Biblical verse referenced (Psalm, 84:6), the word for valley is emeq.

And the phrase is translated in many bibles to the effect of 'valley of weeping' rather than simply 'valley of Becca'.

Would you be able to copy and paste the word as it appears in the Bible and I will use some online translation and see what it means, not that I dont believe you, I just want to confirm

cheers

Sat 20 Feb, 2010 3:18 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

Ha ha....you don't have to believe me. I have repeatedly pointed out the book and the verse number: Psalms, 84:6 (in the Protestant Bible).

The phrase is 'emeq habaka,' and the reference you gave has mixed emeq (valley) with baka. Look it up and share it here.
Post Posted:
Sat 20 Feb, 2010 4:04 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

The wrote:
Ha ha....you don't have to believe me.

Why so?

Aren't we all looking for the truth?

But what I learnt in my 45 years of life not to ever take what others say for granted, I only take what the Quran say for granted. It is not like I am doubting you, I just need solid proofs so I can debate the subject with the kafirs on FFI (Ali Sina) web site

The wrote:

I have repeatedly pointed out the book and the verse number: Psalms, 84:6 (in the Protestant Bible).

The phrase is 'emeq habaka,' and the reference you gave has mixed emeq (valley) with baka. Look it up and share it here.

You misunderstood what I asked for, I asked for the actual words in its Hebrew language, not a transliteration of it in English, but fine, I will look for it myself, I just dont know a site with the Bible in Hebrew language, but I ma sure I can find a few

Cheers

Sat 20 Feb, 2010 4:56 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

It is a Roman transliteration of the actual Hebrew words; did you mean you want it in the Hebrew script?
Post Posted:
Sat 20 Feb, 2010 5:27 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

The wrote:
It is a Roman transliteration of the actual Hebrew words; did you mean you want it in the Hebrew script?

Yes, please

Cheers

Sat 20 Feb, 2010 6:09 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

Okay, buddy, here you go:

בעמק הבכא
Post Posted:
Sat 20 Feb, 2010 6:20 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

The wrote:
Okay, buddy, here you go:

בעמק הבכא

Thanks mate, that is all what I wanted

Cheers

Sat 20 Feb, 2010 7:06 pm
The
Rook
Rook

blank.gif

Sure, buddy. Let me know what you find about 'bac' and valley.
Post Posted:
Sat 20 Feb, 2010 7:57 pm