You are missing our excellent site navigation system. Register here for free and get full operational site navigation system. Benefits of full navigation system: Additional items in "home" menu for registered users, shortcuts to your account managements, quick-shortcut links to download and forum sections, show staffs and members online, notify you for new private messages and shortcut to individual messages grouped by senders, tracking latest forum posts since your last visits and reads, and much more.  
 User:  Pwd:  Code: Security Code

Free-Islam.com Free-Islam.com
::  Home  ::  Access Quran Project  ::  Free Islam Quran Translation  ::  Account  ::  Inbox  ::  Forums  ::  Downloads  ::  MP3 Player  ::  Video  ::  Arcade  ::  Chess  ::  Guest Book  ::
www.free-islam.com :: View topic - Surah Al-Maeda
www.free-islam.com Forum Index Search Forum FAQ Memberlist Ranks Statistics Usergroups
View Favorites Sudoku Coloku Lexoku Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Information Surah Al-Maeda

www.free-islam.com Forum Index » Quran Translation Feedback and Comments  Goto page 1, 2  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
shindeiru
Knight
Knight

Faith:

blank.gif

Post subject: Surah Al-Maeda Reply with quote  

Assalam alaykum brothers

Ahmed, how are you.
it happened that i just refuted khalil fariel on a major attempt at distorting this surah, he tried confusing the reader unfamiliar with the quranic style and usage of tenses in 5:43-48.
although these are all statements in the present tense in arabic, the events described in those verses are in the past, as is often the case throughout the quran. in your translation, you used the present (like yusuf ali and others) as im sure you want to remain as literal as possible, but by studying the context, you will see that shakir's translation in the past tense is the most accurate and i believe this is how these verses should be rendered in the past in english to avoid misunderstandings (although the meaning in arabic is clear).
please check this post and let me know http://forum09.faithfreedom.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1706&start=320#p35315
Post Posted:
Mon 04 May, 2009 6:15 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Faith: Islam
Zodiac: Leo

australia.gif

Post subject: Re: Surah Al-Maeda Reply with quote  

shindeiru wrote:
Assalam alaykum brothers

Ahmed, how are you.
it happened that i just refuted khalil fariel on a major attempt at distorting this surah, he tried confusing the reader unfamiliar with the quranic style and usage of tenses in 5:43-48.
although these are all statements in the present tense in arabic, the events described in those verses are in the past, as is often the case throughout the quran. in your translation, you used the present (like yusuf ali and others) as im sure you want to remain as literal as possible, but by studying the context, you will see that shakir's translation in the past tense is the most accurate and i believe this is how these verses should be rendered in the past in english to avoid misunderstandings (although the meaning in arabic is clear).
please check this post and let me know http://forum09.faithfreedom.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1706&start=320#p35315

Good morning man

Yah man, I want to stay as literal as possible ansd keep the tesnes as stated in the Quran, however I found that in some cases I could not, however I may be wrong, so I will look at the verses and look at that thread by Khalil and get back to you, but for the mean time, please suggest how it should be and we will discuss it then come up with the best decision inshaallah

Salam

Mon 04 May, 2009 6:38 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

shindeiru wrote:
Assalam alaykum brothers

Ahmed, how are you.

I have read what you wrote on that thread, and certainly you are 100% correct, Allah was telling us the events of sending the scriptures from the Torah to the Quran, therefore all tenses are in past tense, if I used presenet then I might have forced to due to the difference in the style of Arabic and English, however your feedback will be appreciated

I will read those 6 verses again, as I believe that I have written an article about it, going thorugh those past events of sedning the scriptures and what the people back then should have done towards these scriptures

I have seen before what those confused kafirs are trying to do, they are trying to use the Quran to prove that the Jews should continue holding the Torah and not the last scripture (The Quran)

I believe there are many logical contexts in these verses that should expose their ignorance

I will get back to you after looking for that artricle and going thorugh these verses again

You have already refuted them, but will do it one more time, then we watch them tap dance, there is no fruit in joining a ping pong game with confused kafirs who do their best to manipulate the Quran, do not forget that the same guy Khalil, does nothing but that and he was already exposed so many times while they only show stuborness

Cheers

Mon 04 May, 2009 9:33 am
BMZ

Zodiac: Libra

singapore.gif

shindeiru wrote:
Assalam alaykum brothers

Ahmed, how are you.

Wa alaikum assalaam, Shindeiru

The problem arises from KhaliL's cherry-picking of verses to make his own concocted point.

If he reads from 5:41-50, then everything is quite clear. Allow me to translate the verses and where I felt handicapped for words, I have taken help from Asad:

Quote:
5:41 Prophet! Be not grieved by those surpass others in denying the truth, who just utter, ?????????????????????¢??We believe?????????????????????¢?????????????????????? but never believed from the bottom of their hearts. And among those of the Jewish faith, they listen to lies and listen to other people instead of coming to you.
They distort by taking the words out of context, saying, ?????????????????????¢??If you are given this, accept it and if not, then be careful.?????????????????????¢?????????????????????? Whom Allah has put to test, you have no power to save him from Allah. Allah does not wish to cleanse and purify the hearts of such people. There will be disgrace for them in this world and there will be a severe punishment for them in the Hereafter. 5:42 They listen to lies and greedily devour anything forbidden. If they come to you, either judge between them or decline. If you decline, they cannot do you any harm. But if you do judge, then decide justly. Allah loves those who are fair.

5:43 Why do they come to you for decisions, when they already have the Torah which contains Allah?????????????????????¢??s injunctions and yet turn away from it? These are no believers.

5:44 Surely, We revealed the Torah in which there was guidance and light used by the prophets, who had surrendered themselves to Allah, judged the Jewish people and so did the rabbis and learned men, who were appointed to safeguard the Book of Allah and they were the witnesses. Do not fear men but fear Me and do not hold my messages in low esteem. Those who do not judge by what Allah has revealed, are disbelievers. 5:45 And We wrote in it, ?????????????????????¢??A life for a life, an eye for an eye, a nose for a nose, an ear for an ear, a tooth for a tooth, retaliation wounds being similar. And he who forgoes it out of charity will atone thereby for some of his past sins. Those, who do not judge in accordance with what Allah has revealed, are the transgressors.

5:46 After them, We sent Jesus, the son of Mary, confirming the truth of whatever still remained of the Torah and granted him the Gospel, in which there was guidance and light, confirming the truth of whatever still remained of the Torah, and as a guidance and admonition to the God-conscious. 5:47 So the followers of the Injeel should judge according to what Allah has revealed. Those, who do not judge according to what Allah revealed, are the transgressors.

5:48 We have revealed the Book to you, which is the truth and confirms the truth of whatever still remains of earlier revelations and guards it safely. So judge between them with what Allah has revealed to you and do not follow their vain and wrong views after the truth has come to you. We appointed a law and way of life for each of you. If Allah had wanted, He could have surely made you all one people, but He wants to test you by means of what He has given you. So, try to excel in doing good. To Allah, all of you will return and He will then inform you of what you differed in.

5:49 So, judge between them according to what Allah has revealed and do not follow their vain and wrong views and beware of them in case they tempt to make you go against what Allah has revealed. If they turn away, then know that Allah wants only to keep them afflicted for some of their sins, as most of the people are transgressors.

5:50 Do they wish to be ruled by the law of pagan ignorance? Who could give a law better than Allah, to people who believe in Allah?

Your argument is rock-solid. What KhaliL and other goons do not know is that in Qur'aan, death punishment is prescribed only for pre-meditated murder.

KhaliL wrote to you something very silly and ridiculous: "But my purpose was to question the criterion you use. If Quran can not be verified without Ahadith, that means Quran is very much dependent on the latter." This is nonsense. Hadith must be verified in the light and shade of qur'aan. Then he drifts to another silly point below.

In addition KhaliL wrote: "Here you turn a blind eye to Quran. I quoted verses of Quran to make my case. It is Quran which says "believers should observe laws of Torah"."

Qur'aan never tells the believers to observe the laws of Torah. Prophet only judged the Jews when they came to him for getting their own cases judged. That is why he asked them to bring Torah. Death punishment by stoning is a Torah punishment. Qur'aan does not prescribe it.

KhaliL then goes on to say: "To answer in simple terms: Quran did not prescribe all those Hebrew Laws. But DID prescribe stoning of adulterers. That is why Muslims did it in Muhammad's time. But somehow the verses pertaining to it are lost from Quran after Muhammad's time.

The reason for me to state "There should have been verses of stoning in Quran" is:

1. Quran's claim it is in concordance with the laws of Torah
2. Death penalty for adultery is the Law of Torah."

Ask him, if the Torah Laws contained anything like 100 lashes or stripes? And whether the Torah allowed a man and woman any chance to repent? Qur'aan does not claim that it is in concordance with the Laws of Torah. It only verifies what was correct in Torah and Injeel and what was forged in. Thus it confirms that the Torah was corrupted.

Well done!

Salaams
BMZ
Post Posted:
Mon 04 May, 2009 2:08 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Post subject: Reply with quote  

Salam bro Shindeiru

I found the article, it is on this web site, it is part of Tashih Al Bukhari article that I wrote a couple of years ago, at that time I used other's translation, however I extracted that part only while keeping the translation that I used just to walk through the context and show that it is talking about the past events of sending all these three scriptures and why a scripture was sent after another:

43: And how do they make you a judge and they have the Taurat wherein is Allah's judgment? Yet they turn back after that, and these are not the believers.

44: Surely We revealed the Taurat in which was guidance and light; with it the prophets who submitted themselves (to Allah) judged (matters) for those who were Jews, and the masters of Divine knowledge and the doctors, because they were required to guard (part) of the Book of Allah, and they were witnesses thereof; therefore fear not the people and fear Me, and do not take a small price for My communications; and whoever do not judge by what Allah revealed, those are they that are the unbelievers.

45: And We prescribed to them in it that life is for life, and eye for eye, and nose for nose, and ear for ear, and tooth for tooth, and (that there is) reprisal in wounds; but he who foregoes it, it shall be an expiation for him; and whoever do not judge by what Allah revealed, those are they that are the unjust.

46: And We sent after them in their footsteps Isa, son of Marium, verifying what was before him of the Taurat and We gave him the Injeel in which was guidance and light, and verifying what was before it of Taurat and a guidance and an admonition for those who guard (against evil).

47: And the followers of the Injeel should have judged by what Allah revealed in it; and whoever do not judge by what Allah revealed, those are they that are the transgressors.

48: And We have revealed to you the Book with the truth, verifying what is before it of the Book and a guardian over it, therefore judge between them by what Allah has revealed, and do not follow their low desires (to turn away) from the truth that has come to you; for every one of you did We appoint a law and a way, and if Allah had pleased He would have made you (all) a single people, but that He might try you in what He gave you, therefore strive with one another to hasten to virtuous deeds; to Allah is your return, of all (of you), so He will let you know that in which you differed;

49: And that you should judge between them by what Allah has revealed, and do not follow their low desires, and be cautious of them, lest they seduce you from part of what Allah has revealed to you; but if they turn back, then know that Allah desires to afflict them on account of some of their faults; and most surely many of the people are transgressors.

50: Is it then the judgment of (the times of) ignorance that they desire? And who is better than Allah to judge for a people who are sure?

[The Quran ; 5:43-50]

وَكَيْفَ يُحَكِّمُونَكَ وَعِندَهُمُ التَّوْرَاةُ فِيهَا حُكْمُ اللّهِ ثُمَّ يَتَوَلَّوْنَ مِن بَعْدِ ذَلِكَ وَمَا أُوْلَئِكَ بِالْمُؤْمِنِينَ (43)

إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَا التَّوْرَاةَ فِيهَا هُدًى وَنُورٌ يَحْكُمُ بِهَا النَّبِيُّونَ الَّذِينَ أَسْلَمُواْ لِلَّذِينَ هَادُواْ وَالرَّبَّانِيُّونَ وَالأَحْبَارُ بِمَا اسْتُحْفِظُواْ مِن كِتَابِ اللّهِ وَكَانُواْ عَلَيْهِ شُهَدَاء فَلاَ تَخْشَوُاْ النَّاسَ وَاخْشَوْنِ وَلاَ تَشْتَرُواْ بِآيَاتِي ثَمَنًا قَلِيلاً وَمَن لَّمْ يَحْكُم بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الْكَافِرُونَ (44)
وَكَتَبْنَا عَلَيْهِمْ فِيهَا أَنَّ النَّفْسَ بِالنَّفْسِ وَالْعَيْنَ بِالْعَيْنِ وَالأَنفَ بِالأَنفِ وَالأُذُنَ بِالأُذُنِ وَالسِّنَّ بِالسِّنِّ وَالْجُرُوحَ قِصَاصٌ فَمَن تَصَدَّقَ بِهِ فَهُوَ كَفَّارَةٌ لَّهُ وَمَن لَّمْ يَحْكُم بِمَا أنزَلَ اللّهُ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ (45)

وَقَفَّيْنَا عَلَى آثَارِهِم بِعَيسَى ابْنِ مَرْيَمَ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ التَّوْرَاةِ وَآتَيْنَاهُ الإِنجِيلَ فِيهِ هُدًى وَنُورٌ وَمُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ التَّوْرَاةِ وَهُدًى وَمَوْعِظَةً لِّلْمُتَّقِينَ (46)

وَلْيَحْكُمْ أَهْلُ الإِنجِيلِ بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ فِيهِ وَمَن لَّمْ يَحْكُم بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ (47)

وَأَنزَلْنَا إِلَيْكَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَمُهَيْمِنًا عَلَيْهِ فَاحْكُم بَيْنَهُم بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ وَلاَ تَتَّبِعْ أَهْوَاءهُمْ عَمَّا جَاءكَ مِنَ الْحَقِّ لِكُلٍّ جَعَلْنَا مِنكُمْ شِرْعَةً وَمِنْهَاجًا وَلَوْ شَاء اللّهُ لَجَعَلَكُمْ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً وَلَكِن لِّيَبْلُوَكُمْ فِي مَآ آتَاكُم فَاسْتَبِقُوا الخَيْرَاتِ إِلَى الله مَرْجِعُكُمْ جَمِيعًا فَيُنَبِّئُكُم بِمَا كُنتُمْ فِيهِ تَخْتَلِفُونَ (48)

وَأَنِ احْكُم بَيْنَهُم بِمَآ أَنزَلَ اللّهُ وَلاَ تَتَّبِعْ أَهْوَاءهُمْ وَاحْذَرْهُمْ أَن يَفْتِنُوكَ عَن بَعْضِ مَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ إِلَيْكَ فَإِن تَوَلَّوْاْ فَاعْلَمْ أَنَّمَا يُرِيدُ اللّهُ أَن يُصِيبَهُم بِبَعْضِ ذُنُوبِهِمْ وَإِنَّ كَثِيرًا مِّنَ النَّاسِ لَفَاسِقُونَ (49)

أَفَحُكْمَ الْجَاهِلِيَّةِ يَبْغُونَ وَمَنْ أَحْسَنُ مِنَ اللّهِ حُكْمًا لِّقَوْمٍ يُوقِنُونَ (50)

-> Verse 43, Allah is talking about the Jews And how do they make you a judge and they have the Taurat wherein is Allah's judgment?, simply Allah is telling Mohammed that the Jews will reject his ruling because they had the Torah which have Allah Judgment but yet they rejected it Yet they turn back after that, and these are not the believers., the hadith advocates may say ok, here is a verse that Allah clearly talks about Mohammed ruling, I say, excuse me, the verses is comparing the rejection of Mohammed ruing with their rejection of Allah Judgment in the Torah, this has to mean that Mohammed ruling was nothing but what Allah ruled in His Quran, this will be clearer as we read the following verses

-> Verse 44, Allah is explaining to Mohammed what was in this Torah, we know already that the previous verse told us that the Torah contains Allah Judgment yet the Jews rejected it as they will reject the Quran: Surely We revealed the Taurat in which was guidance and light;, see what the Torah had, with it the prophets who submitted themselves (to Allah) judged (matters) for those who were Jews,, HOW CLEAR IT CAN GET?, but look how the verse ended: وَمَن لَّمْ يَحْكُم بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الْكَافِرُونَ , i.e. and whoever do not judge by what Allah revealed, those are they that are the unbelievers. , THIS HAS TO BE SCAREY to those who rule by what Allah didn?????????????????????¢??t reveal, like stoning the adulterers for example, or approaching our wives for foreplay while they have the period.

-> Verse 45, Here a sample of Allah Judgment in the Torah: And We prescribed to them in it that life is for life, and eye for eye, and nose for nose, and ear for ear, and tooth for tooth, and (that there is) reprisal in wounds; but he who foregoes it, it shall be an expiation for him;, LOOK HOW THIS VERSE ENDED AGAIN: وَمَن لَّمْ يَحْكُم بِمَا أنزَلَ اللّهُ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ and whoever do not judge by what Allah revealed, those are they that are the unjust. , ANOTHER SCAREY WARNING TO THOSE MUSHRIKOON WHO RULE BY WHAT ALLAH DIDN?????????????????????¢??T REVEAL.

-> Verse 46, Now Allah is talking about another group of people, the Christians, And We sent after them in their footsteps Isa, son of Marium, verifying what was before him of the Taurat, can you see how the message of Isa could never contradict the message of Moses in fact the message of Isa was to verify and filter the corruption of the messages before it, this is because all these messages are from the same God. Isa was not ruling according to his own desires, he was given the Injeel that should include Allah Judgment exactly as it happened with Moses and his Torah and We gave him the Injeel in which was guidance and light, and verifying what was before it of Taurat and a guidance and an admonition for those who guard (against evil). , but did the Christian ruled with what Allah sent down to them in Al Injeel?, it does not look like it because a new message was sent after it to verify it and filter the corruption from it. they were ordered however to rule with Al Injeel that was sent down to them as we read in the next verse:

-> Verse 47: here is the order for the Christians to rule with what Allah sent down to them in Al Injeel: And the followers of the Injeel should have judged by what Allah revealed in it; can you see the words IN IT?, well look how for the third time this verse is ended وَمَن لَّمْ يَحْكُم بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ , i.e. and whoever do not judge by what Allah revealed, those are they that are the transgressors. ANOTHER HORRIFYING MESSAGE FOR THOSE WHO RULE WITH WHAT ALLAH NEVER SENT DOWN IN HIS BOOKS, look they are described as FASIQOON, i.e. the transgressors

-> Verse 48: and here is the last message from Allah before the JD And We have revealed to you the Book with the truth, verifying what is before it of the Book and a guardian over it,, see how this time the Quran is not only to verify the previous scriptures but is a guardian over them as well, unlike the Injeel which was only to verify the Torah but was not a guardian over it, this is because the Quran is the final message and is preserved by Allah Himself, no more messages before the JD and the humans will never be able to corrupt the message this time, now Mohammed was ordered to rule with is in the Quran not according to his desires like Jesus and Moses exactly:therefore judge between them by what Allah has revealed,, and here is a warning that Mohammed should never follow their low desires and do not follow their low desires (to turn away) from the truth that has come to you; this truth that has come to Mohammed is nothing but the Quran, however mister Bukhari is telling us that he heard that Mohammed was still following their low desires of stoning the adulterers as it is documented in their corrupt Torah, mister Bukhari also wants to convince us that Mohammed was killing the apostates according to the Jews corrupt Torah while Allah warned him not to follow their low desires, how we know that this stoning to the apostates and the adulterers in the Torah was indeed ordained by Allah and not corruption by the Jews?, we can only verify that if we compare it with what Allah ruled in the Quran, EXACTLY AS ALLAH TOLD US TO DO ?????????????????????¢??????????????????????TO VERIFY WHAT WAS REVEALED BEFORE IT, the next bit (however) may imply that they had different set of rules to what was sent down last: for every one of you did We appoint a law and a way, , so the Jews may indeed were killing the adulterers and apostates as ordained by Allah in their set of rules and laws sent down to them, Mohammed however was ordered to rule with what Allah sent down to him in the Quran. This complex issue to why Allah does this, well firstly Allah does what he wants without being questioned, secondly he actually explained why He sent us slightly different messages:and if Allah had pleased He would have made you (all) a single people, but that He might try you in what He gave you,, therefore we have nothing to whine about really, it?????????????????????¢??s totally up to Him, what we can do is this therefore strive with one another to hasten to virtuous deeds; to Allah is your return, of all (of you), so He will let you know that in which you differed;, see, He will rule and let us know in which we differed.

-> Verse 49, we read the same order and warning to Mohammed to rule with what was revealed to him and never follow their low desires: And that you should judge between them by what Allah has revealed, and do not follow their low desires,, the warning not ot follow them was stressed again and be cautious of them, lest they seduce you from part of what Allah has revealed to you;, ironically mister Bukhari hearsay hadith imply that the prophet was following their low desires in killing the adulterers and apostates.

-> Verse 50: Allah is summing it beautifully in this verse, Allah is comparing His ruling with the humans rulings: Is it then the judgment of (the times of) ignorance that they desire?, look how this great verse ended: وَمَنْ أَحْسَنُ مِنَ اللّهِ حُكْمًا لِّقَوْمٍ يُوقِنُونَ , i.e. And who is better than Allah to judge for a people who are sure?

I have to repeat those string message to those Mushrikoon hoping they will wake up before one hell of a distressful day:

>>> وَمَن لَّمْ يَحْكُم بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الْكَافِرُونَ , i.e. and whoever do not judge by what Allah revealed, those are they that are the unbelievers. , (5:44)

>>> وَمَن لَّمْ يَحْكُم بِمَا أنزَلَ اللّهُ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ and whoever do not judge by what Allah revealed, those are they that are the unjust. , (5:45)

>>> وَمَن لَّمْ يَحْكُم بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ , i.e. and whoever do not judge by what Allah revealed, those are they that are the transgressors. , (4:47)

>>> وَمَنْ أَحْسَنُ مِنَ اللّهِ حُكْمًا لِّقَوْمٍ يُوقِنُونَ , i.e. And who is better than Allah to judge for a people who are sure?

Salam

Last edited by AhmedBahgat on Wed 06 May, 2009 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Posted:
Mon 04 May, 2009 4:13 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

This is Free-Islam draft translation to the verses above, feel free brothers (BMZ and Shindu) to fix any errors that you may find:

وَكَيْفَ يُحَكِّمُونَكَ وَعِندَهُمُ التَّوْرَاةُ فِيهَا حُكْمُ اللّهِ ثُمَّ يَتَوَلَّوْنَ مِن بَعْدِ ذَلِكَ وَمَا أُوْلَئِكَ بِالْمُؤْمِنِينَ (43)

And how do they make you judge and they have the Taurat, in it is the judgment of Allah? Moreover they turn back after that, and those are not the believers.
[Al Quran ; 5:43]

إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَا التَّوْرَاةَ فِيهَا هُدًى وَنُورٌ يَحْكُمُ بِهَا النَّبِيُّونَ الَّذِينَ أَسْلَمُواْ لِلَّذِينَ هَادُواْ وَالرَّبَّانِيُّونَ وَالأَحْبَارُ بِمَا اسْتُحْفِظُواْ مِن كِتَابِ اللّهِ وَكَانُواْ عَلَيْهِ شُهَدَاء فَلاَ تَخْشَوُاْ النَّاسَ وَاخْشَوْنِ وَلاَ تَشْتَرُواْ بِآيَاتِي ثَمَنًا قَلِيلاً وَمَن لَّمْ يَحْكُم بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الْكَافِرُونَ (44)

Indeed, We have sent down the Taurat in which was guidance and light; the prophets who submitted themselves (to Allah) judge by it for those who were Jews, and the Rabbis and the scholars, because of that which they entrusted of the Book of Allah, and they were over it witnesses; therefore fear not the people and fear Me, and do not take a small price in exchange for My signs; and whoever does not judge by what Allah has sent down, those are ones who are the unbelievers.
[Al Quran ; 5:44]

وَكَتَبْنَا عَلَيْهِمْ فِيهَا أَنَّ النَّفْسَ بِالنَّفْسِ وَالْعَيْنَ بِالْعَيْنِ وَالأَنفَ بِالأَنفِ وَالأُذُنَ بِالأُذُنِ وَالسِّنَّ بِالسِّنِّ وَالْجُرُوحَ قِصَاصٌ فَمَن تَصَدَّقَ بِهِ فَهُوَ كَفَّارَةٌ لَّهُ وَمَن لَّمْ يَحْكُم بِمَا أنزَلَ اللّهُ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ (45)

And We ordained upon them in it that the soul is for the soul, and the eye for the eye, and the nose for the nose, and the ear for the ear, and the tooth for the tooth, and the wounds are retribution; but whoever foregoes it, it shall be an expiation for him; and whoever does not judge by what Allah has sent down, those are ones who are the unjust.
[Al Quran ; 5:45]

وَقَفَّيْنَا عَلَى آثَارِهِم بِعَيسَى ابْنِ مَرْيَمَ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ التَّوْرَاةِ وَآتَيْنَاهُ الإِنجِيلَ فِيهِ هُدًى وَنُورٌ وَمُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ التَّوْرَاةِ وَهُدًى وَمَوْعِظَةً لِّلْمُتَّقِينَ (46)

And We caused to follow after them in their footsteps Isa, son of Marium, verifying what was between his hands of the Taurat and We gave him the Injeel, in it was guidance and light, and verifying what was between his hands of the Taurat and a guidance and an admonition for the pious.
[Al Quran ; 5:46]

وَلْيَحْكُمْ أَهْلُ الإِنجِيلِ بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ فِيهِ وَمَن لَّمْ يَحْكُم بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ (47)

And the people of the Injeel should judge by what Allah has sent down in it; and whoever does not judge by what Allah has sent down, those are the ones who are the transgressors.
[Al Quran ; 5:47]

وَأَنزَلْنَا إِلَيْكَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَمُهَيْمِنًا عَلَيْهِ فَاحْكُم بَيْنَهُم بِمَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ وَلاَ تَتَّبِعْ أَهْوَاءهُمْ عَمَّا جَاءكَ مِنَ الْحَقِّ لِكُلٍّ جَعَلْنَا مِنكُمْ شِرْعَةً وَمِنْهَاجًا وَلَوْ شَاء اللّهُ لَجَعَلَكُمْ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً وَلَكِن لِّيَبْلُوَكُمْ فِي مَآ آتَاكُم فَاسْتَبِقُوا الخَيْرَاتِ إِلَى الله مَرْجِعُكُمْ جَمِيعًا فَيُنَبِّئُكُم بِمَا كُنتُمْ فِيهِ تَخْتَلِفُونَ (48)

And We have sent down to you the Book with the truth, verifying what is between his hands of the Book and a ruler over it, therefore judge between them by what Allah has sent down, and do not follow their desires in change of what has come to you of the truth; for every one of you We made a law and a way, and had Allah willed He would have made you a single nation, but that He might test you in what He gave you, therefore strive for virtuous deeds; to Allah is your return all together, and He will inform you concerning that in which you differed;
[Al Quran ; 5:48]

وَأَنِ احْكُم بَيْنَهُم بِمَآ أَنزَلَ اللّهُ وَلاَ تَتَّبِعْ أَهْوَاءهُمْ وَاحْذَرْهُمْ أَن يَفْتِنُوكَ عَن بَعْضِ مَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ إِلَيْكَ فَإِن تَوَلَّوْاْ فَاعْلَمْ أَنَّمَا يُرِيدُ اللّهُ أَن يُصِيبَهُم بِبَعْضِ ذُنُوبِهِمْ وَإِنَّ كَثِيرًا مِّنَ النَّاسِ لَفَاسِقُونَ (49)

And judge between them by what Allah has sent down, and do not follow their desires, and be cautious of them, lest they tempt you away from some of what Allah has sent down to you; but if they turn back, then know that Allah wants to strike them by some of their sins; and indeed most of the people are transgressors.
[Al Quran ; 5:49]

أَفَحُكْمَ الْجَاهِلِيَّةِ يَبْغُونَ وَمَنْ أَحْسَنُ مِنَ اللّهِ حُكْمًا لِّقَوْمٍ يُوقِنُونَ (50)

Is it the judgment of the ignorance that they desire? And who is better than Allah in judgement for a folk who are sure?
[Al Quran ; 5:50]

Mon 04 May, 2009 4:16 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Also brothers, you should know that when I started translating the Quran, everything was like new to me, so as I progressed I started to get the feeling of the style that I should use, such style won't be seen clearly in the first 7 suras or so, it is like I started to implement it slowly as I progressed to get the sense of it, so in the first 7 suras or so, you may not notice it clearly, however when I go through the whole draft again starting about 12/2009 Inshaallah, all these inconsistency regarding the style, will be fixed inshaallah

Salam

Mon 04 May, 2009 4:23 pm
BMZ

singapore.gif

AhmedBahgat wrote:
Also brothers, you should know that when I started translating the Quran, everything was like new to me, so as I progressed I started to get the feeling of the style that I should use, such style won't be seen clearly in the first 7 suras or so, it is like I started to implement it slowly as I progressed to get the sense of it, so in the first 7 suras or so, you may not notice it clearly, however when I go through the whole draft again starting about 12/2009 Inshaallah, all these inconsistency regarding the style, will be fixed inshaallah

Salam

Salaams, Ahmed

It is a huge task to translate Qur'aan. Yes, you are right. The most important thing is to get the draft translation ready and then fine tune it.

InshaAllah, by the time of editing, you will feel so comfortable that you will be doing it easily.

Well done.

It is no joke to do that along with dismissals of various goons at adverse sites.

BMZ
Post Posted:
Mon 04 May, 2009 4:50 pm
shindeiru
Knight
Knight

Faith:

blank.gif

salaam brothers

thanks for the feedback and indeed just by looking at the logical context of these verses, even without using the past tense, the quran leaves them absolutely no chance at manipulating the meaning and argue that the text is telling us to judge by the torah or the injeel. the enemies of faith can only dream to achieve such objective by isolating the verses.

anyway, ahmed my suggestion is, if you wish to remain literal in your translation of those verses, you can leave the tenses as they are (in the present) and it should not cause the slightest doubt as to the contextual meaning to the average IQ reader.

using the past tense in the translation will only be of additional help to get closer to the real meaning of the verses, as shakir did in his translation.

at the end, its all about one's personal taste and finding the right balance to try to reconcile the eloquence of the quran (switching of tenses) with other languages.
Post Posted:
Mon 04 May, 2009 7:57 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Actually brothers, when I read the above Free-Islam draft for verses 5:43-48, I found too many errors, that is because it was an early sura, while I was still learning how to do such tough task, the task is far easierfor me now after almost two years since I started, so I have a lot of expectations isshaallah in the final check which I anticipate to start in January 2010 and finish by November 2010

Cheers

Wed 06 May, 2009 5:21 pm
BMZ

singapore.gif

AhmedBahgat wrote:
Actually brothers, when I read the above Free-Islam draft for verses 5:43-48, I found too many errors, that is because it was an early sura, while I was still learning how to do such tough task, the task is far easier for me now after almost two years since I started, so I have a lot of expectations isshaallah in the final check which I anticipate to start in January 2010 and finish by November 2010

Cheers

Hello, Ahmed

You can see the difference now as you have progressed further. You are in rhythm now and the choice of English words will come easily.

I agree that the task becomes easier after the initial hard work.

Right behind you. Once you near completion, start sending me in short bites and I will let you have my thoughts.

Salaams
BMZ
Post Posted:
Wed 06 May, 2009 5:52 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

Thanks BMZ

This is actually the part that I will enjoy most, as I will use a database (Access Quran) to add the key words and what English words that I used for each, then compare all locations and somehow mae it all the same if I can, this will be great in searching using english words, so the search result should be identical to search result if we search in Arabic for the same word (that is a mighty ask, I tell you)

Also to keep the words order as close as possible, there will be intense use of these characters ; , '' "" : ., so I need to fully understand when these chars should be used in a context or in a story

Another thing is the extra words in brackets (), I want to make these as minimum as possible

and last but not least, I want to study all tenses and understand what they mean, I know some already but not fully aware of their proper use, for example, if I take the verb eat, then we have all of the following forms:

I eat
I ate
I have eaten
I had eaten
I will eat
I would eat
I shall eat
I should eat
I would have eaten
I should have eaten

This may be important to come with some consistancy regarding the tenses

Salam

Wed 06 May, 2009 6:03 pm
BMZ

singapore.gif

AhmedBahgat wrote:
Thanks BMZ

This is actually the part that I will enjoy most, as I will use a database (Access Quran) to add the key words and what English words that I used for each, then compare all locations and somehow mae it all the same if I can, this will be great in searching using english words, so the search result should be identical to search result if we search in Arabic for the same word (that is a mighty ask, I tell you)

Also to keep the words order as close as possible, there will be intense use of these characters ; , '' "" : ., so I need to fully understand when these chars should be used in a context or in a story

Another thing is the extra words in brackets (), I want to make these as minimum as possible

and last but not least, I want to study all tenses and understand what they mean, I know some already but not fully aware of their proper use, for example, if I take the verb eat, then we have all of the following forms:

I eat
I ate
I have eaten
I had eaten
I will eat
I would eat
I shall eat
I should eat
I would have eaten
I should have eaten

Salam

I think, when I have more time, I will give you the feed back on the tenses and hope brother Shindeiru will also do the same.

I will try go do that by doing, say 20 verses or a particular section.
Most readers and translators do not show the importance of the sections, which show a certain topic being discussed.

For example 2:190-194 is clearly a Section and has to be translated in present tense. "If they do this, then you do that" kind of situation.

I have got Microsoft Access installed but do not know how to use your programme. Would appreciate your advice on that.

Salaams
BMZ
Post Posted:
Wed 06 May, 2009 8:45 pm
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

australia.gif

BMZ wrote:
AhmedBahgat wrote:
Thanks BMZ

I eat
I ate
I have eaten
I had eaten
I will eat
I would eat
I shall eat
I should eat
I would have eaten
I should have eaten

Salam

I think, when I have more time, I will give you the feed back on the tenses and hope brother Shindeiru will also do the same.

Most readers and translators do not show the importance of the sections, which show a certain topic being discussed.

For example 2:190-194 is clearly a Section and has to be translated in present tense. "If they do this, then you do that" kind of situation.

I have got Microsoft Access installed but do not know how to use your programme. Would appreciate your advice on that.

Salaams
BMZ

Thanks man, what version of Access do you have installed?

Wed 06 May, 2009 9:08 pm
BMZ

singapore.gif

AhmedBahgat wrote:
BMZ wrote:
AhmedBahgat wrote:
Thanks BMZ

I eat
I ate
I have eaten
I had eaten
I will eat
I would eat
I shall eat
I should eat
I would have eaten
I should have eaten

Salam

Salaams
BMZ

Thanks man, what version of Access do you have installed?

Access 2003, mate

Salaams
BMZ
Post Posted:
Thu 07 May, 2009 10:45 am